A simple minor electrical problem can cause an electrical fire under the wrong circumstances. We would not want any fire hazard in our household, risking our family’s safety. Home wiring issues and faulty appliances could end up being the cause of a fire. Fires can also be caused by mistakes such as overloading electric receptacles or extension cords. Here are the most common causes of electric fires:

  • Light Fixtures and Fittings

Your light fixtures, light fittings, lamps, and light bulbs can be a cause of electrical fires. This could happen when the light fixtures you installed have wattage exceeding the recommended amount. People also make the mistake of using cloth lampshades. Avoid exceeding wattage and using cloth on or close to light fixtures. Keep in mind that the heat from lightbulbs could ignite certain materials very easily.

  • Extension Cords

Using extension cords is very helpful in a household. However, you should not use extension cords for a long time or permanently. Extension cords are only made for temporary usage and are not intended to be used for long-term. It is best to have your appliances plugged directly into a wall receptacle. If it is impossible to place an appliance close to a socket, have an electrician install receptacles in better locations for your safety.

  • Outdated Wiring

The appliances we use today are created to be compatible with modern electrical wiring. This means a home with old electric wiring might not be able to handle the latest appliances. Circuits can be overloaded by appliances we use daily like kitchen appliances, computers, and TVs. If the circuit breakers are old and worn out, overloading the system could cause a fire.

  • Portable Heaters

Portable heaters are beneficial during the cold months but they could cause a fire if not used correctly. The most common mistake is putting a heater too close to flammable surfaces like sofas, curtains, rugs, clothes, and beds since coil space heaters can cause these items to catch fire.

  • Faulty Appliances and Sockets

You should stop using an appliance immediately if you suspect that it is faulty. Have it fixed or replaced immediately when it has a serious issue. Many appliances can heat up quickly when faulty, and this could cause a fire. As we all know, prevention is always better than the cure. Apply these tips to ensure the safety of your home and the people in it.

error: Content is protected !!